W E S T B U R Y

 

FRANCIS SWAINE (1725-1782)

HMS Britannia

 

Oil on canvas. Size including frame: 35 by 43 inches.

 

Provenance:

With Hahn Gallery, London.

With Simon Dickinson, London, from whom acquired by the previous owner.

Literature:

F.B. Cockett, Peter Monamy 1681-1749 and his Circle, Suffolk 2000, p.61, reproduced in colour p.60, plate 23.

 

 

NOTES.

This stern view of HMS Britannia shows her coming to anchor and being greeted by a salute whilst her commander is being rowed ashore.

HMS Brinannia was a 100-gun first rate ship of the line built for the Royal Navy by Phineas Pett II at Chatham Dockyard, where she was launched in 1682. In 1715 she was dismantled and rebuilt at Woolwich Dockyard, where she was relaunched in 1719.

 

 

 

 

 

 

HOME            RENAISSANCE            BAROQUE            18TH CENTURY            19TH CENTURY            SCULPTURE            INFORMATION